RENTON, Washington — Seattle Seahawks and star receiver DK Metcalf have agreed a three-year, $72 million extension that includes $58.2 million in guarantees, a source told ESPN’s Adam Schifter Thursday.
The total amount secured includes a $30 million signing bonus, the source said, the highest ever for a wide receiver.
The deal quickly puts an end to the two-day “wait” for Metcalf and shuts down one of the best-performing companies in the future of the Seahawks. The 24-year-old Metcalfe, who had just one year and just under $4 million on his junior contract, is signed to 2025.
An average of $24 million in new money to extend it makes the Metcalf the Seahawks the highest paid player, surpassing the safety of Jamal Adams by $17.5 million, and establishing him as the new face of the franchise now that Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner are gone.
Metcalf and Stefon Diggs of the Bills are now tied for the sixth highest average annual salary among NFL recipients.
The three-year extension term is shorter than Seahawks typically prefer for second, big-money contracts, and it puts Metcalf on track to become a free agent at age 28. It also came with a shorter waiting period than some of the Seahawks’ recent mega deals that haven’t even been finalized to enter Training camp.
Metcalf reported camp on time Tuesday but did not participate in the first two runs as his agent, Tori Dandy, and the Seahawks continued to negotiate. Coach Pete Carroll explained that his lack of participation was related to the contract and not due to Metcalfe’s foot being surgically repaired.
Metcalf’s future in Seattle looked somewhat uncertain earlier this season, after General Manager John Schneider publicly expressed his shock affixed to some huge deals that sent the receiver market soaring. The Seahawks received calls from teams interested in Metcalf in the wake of those comments, but Seattle told suitors that they were not interested in trading with him, according to a source.
Despite commercial speculation and WR’s salary hike, the Seahawks have expressed confidence both publicly and behind the scenes that they will secure a pre-season deal with Metcalf. That was the case even after Metcalf’s precarious contract prompted the receiver to skip the mandatory junior camp last month with what the team saw as an unexcused absence.
Carroll noted then that the Seahawks have a proven track record of expanding the range of players they want to keep for the long term since he and Schneider arrived in 2010.
“I’m no less optimistic, no,” Carroll said in June, after not attending Metcalf’s small camp. “We’ve been through this for years. It’s a tough time. We’ve had a lot of notable people who’ve gone through this process, and how has it been for us? We figured it out in time. John is on it. He’s so much experienced as you can handle this stuff.” , DK has great acting and DK is exhausting for a kid. But there’s no way to avoid this first time, the first time it feels like trying it and all that…. He’s an amazing person. He’s a great player. He has so much to offer the world and everything, I just… I don’t want him to miss this opportunity to where we can’t find out. So we’ll do everything we can.”
Metcalf has a total of 216 catches for 3,170 yards and 29 touchdowns during his first three seasons. He made his only Pro Bowl game in 2020 after breaking Steve Largent’s franchise record for one season with 1,303 yards. After suffering a career-threatening neck injury in college, Metcalfe never missed a game in his NFL career.
He played most of last season with a broken bone in his foot that required surgery. Carroll said Wednesday that Metcalfe has outgrown his physical condition and is fine.